Which membership is right for you?
ATA membership is open to anyone with an interest in translation and interpreting as a profession or as a scholarly pursuit. Compare the categories below to see which membership best supports your career and future goals.
Memberships for Individuals
All individual applicants are first accepted as 联系 or 学生 members.
Open to individuals interested in the goals and objectives of ATA. Applicants must remain 联系 members for four weeks before advancing to Active or Corresponding membership.
- 联系 members possess full rights and privileges as defined by the ATA Bylaws, except the right to vote and hold office.
Open to graduate and undergraduate college or university students enrolled full-time in any program or part-time in a translation- or interpreting-related program, including foreign language study.
- Requires proof of current student enrollment (in English).
- Membership is limited to 4 years.
- 学生 members possess full rights and privileges as defined by the ATA Bylaws, except the right to vote and hold office and the benefit of listing their services in the Language Services Directory.
Memberships for Organizations
Open to businesses with an interest in the translation and/or interpreting profession. Membership is in the name of the company, not the individual.
- Employees of 企业 members are not eligible to take the ATA certification examination unless they are also individual members.
Open to nonprofit institutions with an interest in the translation and/or interpreting profession. Membership is in the name of the institution, not the individual.
- Requires documentation of nonprofit status (in English).
- 机构 members cannot list their services in the Language Services Directory.
- Employees of 机构 members are not eligible to take the ATA certification examination unless they are also individual members.
Advanced Memberships for Individuals
Open to current ATA Members only.
Active / Corresponding
Open to 联系 or 学生 members who have become eligible for voting rights by achieving professional status. Members in these two categories are listed as "Voting" members. Eligibility for Active/Corresponding membership can be gained through one of the following:
Life/Voting or Life/联系
Open to current ATA members who have reached sixty years of age and have completed at least twenty consecutive years as a member. Rights and privileges depend upon the membership category—Voting or 联系—of the member.
荣誉 membership may be conferred upon individuals who have distinguished themselves in the translation or interpreting professions by a vote of two-thirds of the 董事会. The total number of living honorary members shall not exceed fifteen at any one time, and not more than two may be elected in any one year.
Get the Member Advantage
ATA supports you and your career with member-priced education, professional connections, and 24/7 promotion in ATA’s Directory.